When it comes to managing your emails, sometimes you need to save them to your hard drive because it is important not to lose them. There are a few ways to backup your Outlook emails on your local hard drive.
Export Your Outlook Data File
The first option you have is to export your Outlook data file directly. In order to do this, use the following steps.
- Open Microsoft Outlook. Go to the File menu. Select Open & Export, and click on Import/Export.
- Choose Export to File, then click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and then Next.
- Choose the inbox or inboxes you want to export. Then click Next.
- Browse for a location on your local hard drive or external hard drive. Give the backup file a name. Hit OK.
- Click Next and Finish the process.
You will also have the option of entering a password to protect your backup drive.
Manually Copy Outlook Data File to Hard Drive (When Using Windows)
The next option you can use to backup your Outlook emails is to manually copy the data files to your hard drive.
- Open Microsoft Outlook. Go to File and click Account Settings.
- Click on Data Files and note the location of the Outlook data file on your PC.
- Follow the noted path to find the data file on your PC. Select to file and click Open File Location.
- Copy the .pst or .ost file to your local hard drive or external hard drive.
You can use this option to save more than just Outlook emails to your hard drive. It can save things like calendars, notes, and tasks as well.
See how to save your Outlook files to your hard drive here:
Manually Copy Outlook Data File to Hard Drive (When Using a Mac)
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to File and select Export.
- You will be asked for the type of file to export. Enable Outlook for Mac Data File, then select Mail. (If you want to save things other than mail, you can select those options in this step.)
- Once all of your files are chosen for backup, click Export.
- When prompted, choose your safe location to backup your files.
Why You Should Back up Your Data
It is important to back up all important data. Using these steps will make backing up emails and other files from Outlook incredibly easy. Make sure to back up your important data regularly to combat unforeseen technical issues.