Creating your own video game can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into developing the game and what kind of game you are developing. Some games require much more work than others.
Creating Your Own Game
There are many stages of development you will go through while making a video game.
- Pick your genre. This is the basis for your entire game.
- Pick your platform. This determines where your game will be played. Computers, consoles, and smartphones are popular platforms.
- Write out your initial design for your game.
- Choose a core philosophy that will be the motivating force of your game.
- Write down the features you want to use.
Once you’ve laid this groundwork, you are ready to continue with more detailed work on your video game.
- Write a new design document with incredible detail.
- If you are working in a team, go over your design together to iron out all the details.
- Decide on an engine that you will use to create your game. There are many different engines that cater to different types of games and different genres. Find the one that works with your concept.
- Build a prototype of your game.
These steps will create a preliminary version of your game that will continue to be improved during the development process.
See how to start building your own video game here:
- Design the world for your game. Collaborate with others for art and story-telling.
- Record the audio for your video game.
- Once you have put your entire game together, play it often. Look for bugs and things that need to be adjusted or improved.
- Make sure your game follows the core philosophy that you chose.
- Polish and refine your video game.
- Once you’ve gotten a “finished” version, play the game yourself and allow a few others to play it to look for anything that you have overlooked in previous steps.
- Watch other people play your game to gauge their responses. Ask for critiques.
- Put the finishing touches on your game.
Determination is Key
Developing a video game is a long, drawn-out process, but it does not have to be hard. Make sure to create a game that you are passionate about in order to keep you interested in the development process, so you are able to give your entire concentration and attention to the video game.